Los Angeles Office
- California, 2003
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2004
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 2007
- United States Tax Court, 2007
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia (LL.M, 2003)
- Whittier Law School, Costa Mesa, California (J.D., Law Review Member and Notes and Comments Editor, 2000 - 2002 , 2002)
- Moot Court Honors Board Member and Competitor, 2000 - 2002
- Trial Advocacy Honors Board Member and Competitor, 2000 - 2002
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California (B.S. in Political Science and Psychology, 1998)
Lisa D. Angelo
Lisa D. Angelo is a Senior Associate in the Los Angeles office of Murchison & Cumming, LLP. Ms. Angelo is Co-Chair of the firm’s Criminal Law practice group and a member of the Civil Rights Pro Bono Panel for the Eastern District of California. In addition, she is a member of the Law and Motion and General Liability practice groups.
Ms. Angelo began her legal career in Washington, D.C. after graduating from The George Washington University School of Law with a Masters of Laws degree in Litigation and Dispute Resolution. While in the District of Columbia, Ms. Angelo gathered significant experience working at several divisions of the United States Department of Justice including the Sex Crimes and Domestic Violence Unit, Environmental and Natural Resources Division and the Office of the Solicitor General. Ms. Angelo also has the unique experience of working on high-profile national and international cases in federal district courts along the east coast including Virginia, Washington, D.C. and the Southern District of New York. Most recently, Ms. Angelo obtained a dismissal of a twenty-count criminal indictment alleging mail fraud, conspiracy to commit mail fraud and aiding and abetting, in the District Court of Nevada.
Ms. Angelo has also achieved success for her civil clients through favorable rulings on motions, obtaining voluntary dismissals from plaintiffs, and negotiating favorable settlements through mediation. Her primary areas of expertise include premises liability, products liability, professional liability and general tort liability.
Most recently, Ms. Angelo prevailed on a summary judgment motion in a breach of contract and general negligence case against an insurance brokerage corporation and its CEO.
Ms. Angelo's experience with federal cases, trials and hearings includes:
- U.S. v. Chu, Eastern District of Virginia – passport fraud, fraudulent naturalization, aiding and abetting, criminal asset forfeiture
- INS v. Chu, No. Virginia Immigration court – secured release of wrongfully detained client
- U.S. v. Ye Gon, District Court for District of Columbia – conspiracy to distribute 500 milligrams or more of methamphetamine, aiding and abetting, criminal asset forfeiture
- U.S. v. In re: 2004 Lamborghini et al. – civil asset forfeiture
- U.S. v. Shang, District Court of Nevada – mail fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit mail fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, aiding and abetting, criminal asset forfeiture.
- Wilcox v. Sisson, District of Columbia – breach of contract, mortgage fraud
- Falun Gong v. Ministries of China, District of Columbia – civil battery, assault, false imprisonment, defamation, Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act
- In re Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001, Southern District of New York – civil assault, battery, negligence, false imprisonment, RICO, torture victims protection Act, conspiracy to fund attack on U.S.
- U.S. v. In re: One Hundred Thousand Dollars – civil asset forfeiture re: return of seized property, set aside default
Ms. Angelo's experience with state cases, trials and hearings includes:
- Plaintiffs v. Prince George’s County - civil assault, battery, false imprisonment
- Georgia v. Khalid Adem – motion for new trial re: aggravated battery and cruelty to children
- 3 bench trials re: DUIs, 20+ probable cause preliminary hearings
She is also experienced in federal pre-indictment, pleas and arraignments having participated in over twenty misdemeanor and felony arraignments in regards to prostitution, solicitation, petty theft and fraud; preparing clients for meetings with FBI, DOJ and grand jury hearings; and pre- and post- indictment negotiations with FBI and DOJ in regards to voluntary surrender and plea bargaining.
- "Howell, Hanif & Beyond--The current climate for assessment of medical 'specials,'" Tokio Marine Management and TM Claims Services, May 30, 2012, Pasadena, CA
- "California Civil Procedure," Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA, February 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Long Beach, VP Foundation
- "Blue Shield to cover treatment for anorexia," Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 21, 2011
- "Clash of the Courts: Are Witness Statements Privileged Information?" Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 27, 2010
- Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, "The Delay in a Necessary Change With Time", 23 Whittier L. Rev. 3, 2002